Fri, Nov 11|
1620 S Stage Coach Ln
Book Club Celebration: By The Great Horn Spoon
Join us on an raucous adventure with our heroes, Praiseworthy and Jack, that takes us from the stately streets of 1800's Boston, onto a sidewheeler ship as it makes its way to the rough and tumble Gold Rush towns of California…and learn about what matters most and where true riches lie.
Time & Location
Nov 11, 2022, 10:00 AM – 12:20 PM
1620 S Stage Coach Ln, 1620 S Stage Coach Ln, Fallbrook, CA 92028, USA
About The Event
Celebration will be on November 11th. Keep that day open!
Begin reading in October.
About the Book
The story of Jack's adventure round the Great Horn as he sails for the first time to attempt to stake his claim in the Gold Rush of California. This super fun (and sometimes silly) adventure will have you laughing and crying and will connect you and your kiddos to The Gold Rush of 1949 in meaningful ways. The historical setting comes to life for readers of all ages--and will be especially fascinating to us--residents of California!
The independent reading level for this book is 4th-5th grade.
As You Read:
- discuss themes of: a) friendship, loyalty, and honesty during hardship, b) purity of purposes/goals, and c) what is true treasure?
- keep in mind your favorite scenes, characters, and foods for possible uses before celebration
- consider joining us for Riley’s Farm Gold Rush Tour (the BEST experience for all ages—including toddlers). Ticket Sales close first week of October.
How to prepare:
- Read at home with your kids. Look for themes, favorite characters, foods, and favorite scenes. HAVE YOUR KIDDOS audibly *tell* you their thoughts about it. Ask then questions. Engage them in conversation.
- After reading, prepare a diorama of your favorite scene—this can be as a family or as individual: whatever is best for you. Your diorama can be made of any materials you‘d like: feel free to be creative and have fun as a family! BE READY to explain why you chose this scene. What do you love about it? Why is it meaningful to you? What does it reveal about the characters and/or the themes?
- Prepare a book-related food item of 40-50 mini-servings—enough to offer half our attendees a taste of some mining grub! BE READY to tell what it is and how it relates to the book.
- Come dressed up as a miner, sailor, Bostonian, traveler, butler, outlaw, or any other book-related costume. Optional.
**We recommend that you JOIN US for our Riley&amp;amp;amp;#x27;s Farm Field Trip which will enhance your children's understanding of The Gold Rush in deeply impactful way--and will then make the literature even more accessible, understandble, and exciting! This is an optional element--and is not required to particpate in the book celebration.
- Ticket type
Horn Spoon-Whole Family
Ticket covers cost of materials for games, activities and crafts. You only need to pay one materials fee for the entire family. Be sure that your RSVP includes the number of adults and children who will be attending.Price$12.00
+$0.30 service fee+$0.30 service fee
- Ticket type
Book Club Leader RSVP
For our Book Club Leadership families to RSVP.Price$0.00Sold Out